Saturday, December 12, 2009

Why I Love #1: Tamora Pierce's books

I am a huge Tamora Pierce fan. I read a lot of her books during my middle school years, and I am proud to say that I have read every single one of her books except the recent ones (like Melting Stones and Bloodhound). Like with most of the books/authors that I will feature on this blog, Tamora Pierce generally writes young adult or teen fantasy. Don't think of her as another Twiilight rip-off though.. Tamora Pierce is an actual accomplished writer, and her books are amazing.

The first book that I read by Tamora Pierce was Alanna: The First Adventure, which was amazing. The most memorable thing about Tamora Pierce's books are her characters. I was able to picture exactly how every single character looked in all of her books, and I'm sure that any other reader will be able to, too. Her characters have very distinct names, appearances, and personalities, and they actually sound like real characters. Forget about flat characters with stereotypical personalities. After you read one of Ms. Pierce's books, it'll seem you've known the characters forever.

Another thing that I noticed as I read her other books (See: the Circle of Magic series, the Trickster series, etc.) was that Tamora Pierce is a very good storyteller. The plotlines are amazing, and their genre can range from romantic, action, mystery, and fantasy, to anything. None of the storylines were predictable, but every time I finished a book, I remember a feeling of satisfaction- like a "that was exactly how the story was supposed to end" feeling.

Thus, the storylines are perfect, the characters are amazing.. what more could you want from a book? The books are also very good because they are fantasy. I think that every book features magic, spells, or some figment of imagination of some sort. The fantasy element adds much to each book, and you will often be entertained by some event that could not possibly have happened in the real world. Although the Song of the Lioness quartet holds a special place in my heart (being the first series that I read by Tamora Pierce), my favorite is Terrier from the Beka Cooper series. It's the most recent book that I've read by her, and I remember reading it like it was yesterday. As with all of her books, the storyline and characters were perfect, and I remember thinking that the fantasy elements in that story were cooler than usual. So... what are you waiting for? =D

Click HERE to visit Tamora Pierce's official website.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment