Sunday, December 27, 2009

Emily the Strange: The Lost Days by Rob Reger


~Book Review #3~

Before I read this book, I knew little to nothing about Emily Strange. Sure, I had seen the usual franchise items: comic books, wallets, clothes, etc. But since I had never bothered to look up Emily's back-story, I was very much clueless when I started reading this book.

The plot of this book revolves around Emily who wakes up one day with no memory of who she is. At once, I felt that the premise of the book was interesting. The book is written in diary form, and as you read it, you start to realize just what kind of character that Emily Strange is. The plot is very, very interesting once you get into it. There are many strange happenings and characters in this book, and you get to experience all of them through Emily's eyes- and through illustrations that are characteristic of Emily Strange's gothic style.

At one point near the beginning, I began to feel bored with the book, and wondered if I should continue reading. This was because I had absolutely no idea what the book was going to be about or how it was going to end. The summaries of the book were very vague, and I did not want to spend days reading a 264-page (though easily readable) book if the ending was not borderline satisfying. Well, to put a long story short, I am very glad that I continued reading. The book is perfect if you're into mysteries, diaries, suspense, humor, or teen fantasy fiction- like me. Although there are no out-right supernatural elements, there are still a few fantastical characters/events that cause you to wonder.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has ever wondered about the real story behind Emily Strange. I have a feeling that the book is aimed to tweens more than young adults, since there is nothing that I can recall that would be inappropriate for a 9 or 10-year old. If you like gothic settings, semi-snarky heroines, reading diaries, mysteries, and long lists, then you should definitely check this book out!!

Recommended. 4 out of 5 stars.

Click HERE to purchase the book off of Amazon.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment