Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why I Love #13:The College Application Process

Hi everyone! :) So... it's been a while.

I'm sorry I vanished without saying anything. I've been really busy with end-of-senior-year stuff like studying for my last 5 AP exams & deciding which college to attend. It's been a bumpy ride - this whole college application process - and I'm so glad that it's over. I guess there's no harm in revealing this, but I have decided to matriculate at Vassar College in the fall. It wasn't my dream school when I first started looking at colleges, but it has become my dream school now.

Normally, I would start giving out advice to prospective college applicants here, but I don't feel qualified to do this. Go research on your own, take others' advice with a grain of salt, & definitely visit College Confidential. It's an amazing forum website that is sure to have an answer to all of your questions. And always remember that "brand names" and Ivy Leagues aren't the answer to life. Although they are amazing schools, don't forget that there are thousands of colleges in the United States - and even more abroad. If you've decided to go to college, then I'm sure that there will be a perfect place for you. Life isn't a competition, and there are no winners in the end. (That last part wasn't meant to be pessimistic, it's just the truth.) I guess that my personal advice would be to aim for the stars, but realize how far away they are. High school students with 2400's get rejected from some colleges; and sometimes the college decisions will just seem so random. Perfect applicants will get rejected, and some not-so-stellar students will get accepted. That's life. Go into this process with your eyes wide open to the possibility of defeat. That's what I did. Although I got rejected by numerous colleges, I knew that that could happen, and I couldn't be happier with the college I've chosen to attend.

I've actually grown to love the college application process (not that I would EVER want to repeat it again). I've realized what my strengths and weaknesses are. I've become more organized. By doing all these things to prepare for my college apps; and by searching for the "perfect college" on my own, I've developed a new sense of independence and self-confidence. I've come out of this grueling process - an ordeal in life if I ever saw one - a better person. I know myself better than ever before, and I am also SO happy. I'm happy with where I'm going for college - I <3 Vassar - and I'm so glad that I've managed to succeed during high school.

I've done so many accomplishments in high school that I couldn't have even DREAMED of doing before entering. For instance, I started this blog in December 2009 (my junior year) in order to showcase pop music and teen fantasy books that I loved. I do believe that I've managed to achieve that goal. To date, I've posted over 100 times with various things that I <3. Also, this blog (it's my only one, btw) has amassed over 3,400 views. Personally, I think that's amazing. Thank you to my readers out there! You encouraged me to keep posting - even when life got in the way. And I'm sorry I was so busy during my 19-month run on this blog.

Well, here's a final announcement that you may have seen coming: I've decided to discontinue this blog. It's not because I've run out of things to say, or because I don't love blogging. I definitely do - although it can become frustrating if you think that you're just sending ideas into the blogosphere and no one's reading them. The real reason is because I haven't had time to post in the last several months. With college starting in the fall, I really want to focus on the academics, the intellectual side, and also the social side (the reasons I'm going to college). Basically, I won't be able to fit in blogging on the side. Rather than keeping you going with false hope that I will someday return, I'm just going to say that I'm done. I'm done. I'm done. Nevertheless, I'll always treasure this blog as a remnant of my high school years (which is why I'm not deleting any of these posts or the blog itself). Feel free to comb through the archives for some of my favorite songs and books.

Throughout my years in high school, which have been invaluable, I've learned so much more about myself that I never could have imagined. Blogging was an invaluable way for me to share things that I love with others (you) and also to practice writing. You should try it out if you have any interest in it. Also, I may return to blogging someday, but nowhere in the near future. I hope to continue writing in the future - and also a possible career - which is why I am planning to major in English. I have no idea what the future holds for me - particularly since everyone seems to think that an English major = no job or career prospects. Whatever happens, I know that God will bring me through it. He is the reason I'm here, and I am so grateful to Him for everything He's done!

Well, there's no use prolonging this. Thank you, readers, for visiting my page. After 19 months, this is the end. This is Leighton, signing off. Goodbye and good luck with all of your future endeavors!

Photo credit: What's the Idea? A Brand Consultancy.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment