Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross

~Book Review #5~

So I never thought that I would read a comic book on DC Comics' Vertigo imprint- besides for Fables. And after I stopped reading Fables after volume 6 or 7 (because it was getting very boring with the long texts and the storyline), I thought that I was done with comics that were rated for adults. Well, I read a preview of The Unwritten online at some comics website or something like that. And I really like the premise of it.

WARNING: I would definitely not read this comic if you can't handle adult material. There's swearing, super violent stuff, etc. And normally, I don't read that kind of stuff either. Like I don't watch rated R movies because I'll most likely get nightmares and be afraid to step outside my house. However, I think I was so interested in the story of this comic that I just skipped over the bloody and gory parts to get the actual plot.

So the basic story is that a father (author) based his famous book character on his own son, Tommy Taylor, and named it after him. The character is a boy wizard, but this is not a Harry Potter rip-off. The books become best-selling, but then the author disappears. Meanwhile, the son grows up and is sick of trying to live up to the storybook character that the whole world knows him as. When characters from the books start appearing in real life, it makes Tom question his origins. And that's where the story begins. According to the author, the book is based more on Christopher Robin (the real one, whose father based a character on from Winnie-the-Pooh) 's auto-biography than Harry Potter.

The story is definitely interesting, although gory as mentioned before. And I can't wait to read the next volume. (I just finished reading the first graphic novel.) Hopefully they will make the series short so that I can find out the ending soon; but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

Recommended. 4 out of 5 stars.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment